**We’re extending our submission period for Issue One! See dates below.**
Exoplanet is open to fiction submissions under 5000 words. As a webzine, we have flexibility to print larger pieces, but keep in mind that a shorter piece is much more likely to be published.
We are also open to art submissions in .jpg format, at least 300 dpi.
If you’re thinking about submitting your work to us, please review the submission guidelines below. And if you’re not sure if your work is a fit, please send it to us and let our editors decide. If you write speculative fiction from a non-normative perspective, we want to read your work.
We aim to reply to all submissions within a month. If it has been more than a month since you submitted and you haven’t heard from us, please let us know and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
- Email submissions as attachments to exoplanetmagazine @ gmail.com.
- Include the word “submission” and the name of your story in the subject line.
- Include a cover letter in the body of the email with the word count and a brief bio.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but please notify us whether you are submitting your story elsewhere and let us know if it is accepted elsewhere. We are not open to reprints at this time, but plan to open up to them in the future, so keep checking back.
- Submissions for Issue One (June) will be open until May 31, 2018. All stories received after May 31 will be considered for Issue Two (December).
Formatting your work:
Please double space your story and follow standard manuscript format. Include page numbers, and type your name, address, and email on the first page.
What we want:
Exoplanet seeks to publish strong voices. We love stories about gay, lesbian, bi, nonbinary, aro, ace, two-spirit, and trans characters. We want to publish many perspectives of gender, body, or identity issues, stories by immigrants and indigenous writers, stories that deal with disability, mental health, stories by POC, and others whose voices need to be heard.
We want to offer new voices a platform to be heard, and to share as many perspectives as possible. If in doubt, please send us your work and we will be happy to consider it. We want to hear your story.
In terms of genre, our focus is on science fiction, but we are open to all forms of speculative fiction. This includes all forms of science fiction, fantasy, horror, magical realism, slipstream, and surrealism. If it’s weird and imaginative, we want to read it.
What we don’t want to see:
- Marginalized characters being marginalized
- Stories that are offensive to people of any visible or invisible minority such as LGBTQIA2+, POC, or persons with disabilities.
All rights reside with the author. We do not offer payment for stories at this time.